Solar powered laptops

Anything else about computers... Wanna brag about your new laptop? Then it goes in here...
Kyodai
Site Admin

Solar powered laptops

Postby Kyodai » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:41 pm

This is such an overlooked topic, so i wanna write a new blog post about it when i got some time.

I must admit I don't like the WEWI SOL so much...

Generally the design is not bad but some points i really dislike about it:

- The solar panels are "detachable". Best possibility to lose or forget them somewhere.
- Pretty big. Nothing against 14 inch laptops, but if you fold out the solar panel it becomes a gigantic base camp.
- Heavy. With the solar panel (Why would anyone wanna detach it anyways?) and battery it's over 6 pounds.
- The promised "rugged" and "waterproof" case is just cheap plastic with some "rugged look" greebles glued to it.
- Price shocker. It was announced for 300 Dollars- The only reseller - CDW - charges 600 dollars for the cheapest model

Needless to say that the laptop has been discontinued - even though the manufacturers website still tries to link you to CDW - who took it out of their webshop a while ago.

The Samsung NP-NC215 is already closer to a "good" solar notebook, being cheaper (400 USD), much smaller (10 inch screen) and lighter (Under 3 pounds).

Obviously the charging is weaker than the SOL with it's 4 solar panels, but it already comes closer to my idea of the perfect Solar Laptop. I will go more in detail in my upcoming blog post...

http://tankraider.com/blog/

Not considered here is the "iUnika Gyy" because there's no proof that it was ever produced or released, so most probably vaporware...

Return to “Other Computers”